Following great feedback from our most recent session in 2017, Think People are pleased to offer a full-day workshop on the topic of managing complex grievance and disciplinary cases.
Delegates will be provided with step by step guidance on complex case management, beginning with initial response and early spotting of high risk issues, time-efficient investigation handling, considerations for suspension and for how long, deliberation and decision making.
Delegates will have the opportunity to get a deeper understanding of rarer circumstances such as personal safety concerns from other employees, data protection concerns, unusual or challenging requests from difficult trade union officials, ill health or stress during proceedings, without prejudice discussions, alternative dispute resolution and settlements. The process of conciliation via the LRA will be covered as well as what to expect and plan for if a case goes to tribunal.
Subject matter will include:
- A step by step approach to managing complex disciplinary and grievance cases
- Spotting high risk scenarios and how to handle them
- Suspension: common errors to avoid
- Dealing with difficulties, such as absence during proceedings, counter complaints, unruly representatives, data protection, concerns for personal safety, and failing to participate in the process
- Handling disputes via ADR and Mediation
- Case Law examples highlighting common mistakes
- Without Prejudice discussions - why, what and how
- Preparing for a Tribunal and /or reaching settlement
- Applying a step by step approach to handing investigations
- Approaching extreme cases of misconduct such as violence, theft or fraud
- Criminal activity outside of work and the impact on the employment contract
- Involving the police in an internal investigation – key considerations